Hong Kong

Funding bodies

Fund Goal

Aims to fund projects and activities which contribute towards the development of the Hong Kong film industry

Get the list of funding programmes


Visa exepted countries
180-day stay:  United Kingdom (British Citizens only),  Macau (for holders of Macao Permanent Resident Identity Card only).
90-day stay: EU/EFTA citizens (except British Citizens),  Andorra,  Antigua and Barbuda,  Argentina,  Australia,  Bahamas,  Barbados,  Belize,  Botswana,  Brazil,  Brunei,  Canada,  Chile,  Colombia,  Dominica,  Ecuador,  Egypt,  Fiji,  Grenada,  Guyana,  Israel,  Jamaica,  Japan,  Kenya,  Kiribati,  Malawi,  Malaysia,  Maldives,  Mauritius,  Mexico,  Monaco,  Namibia,  Nauru,  New Zealand,  Papua New Guinea,  San Marino,  Seychelles,  Singapore,  South Korea,  Saint Kitts and Nevis,  Saint Lucia,  Saint Vincent and the Grenadines,  Swaziland,  Tanzania,  Tonga,  Trinidad and Tobago,  Turkey,  Tuvalu,  Uruguay,  United Kingdom (British Overseas Territories Citizens, British Overseas Citizens, British Subjects and British Protected Persons),  United States,  Vanuatu,  Venezuela,  Zambia,  Zimbabwe.
30-day stay: Bahrain,  Bolivia,  Cape Verde,  Costa Rica,  Dominican Republic,  El Salvador,  Guatemala,  Honduras,  Indonesia,  Jordan,  Kuwait,  Morocco,  Oman,  Paraguay,  Peru,  Qatar,  Samoa,  Saudi Arabia,  South Africa,  Thailand,  Tunisia,  Uganda,  United Arab Emirates.
14-day stay: Albania (with a biometric passport only),  Algeria,  Benin,  Bhutan,  Bosnia and Herzegovina,  Burkina Faso,  Chad,  Comoros,  Djibouti,  Equatorial Guinea,  Gabon,  Guinea,  Haiti,  Holy See,  India,  Kazakhstan,  Lesotho,  Macedonia,  Madagascar,  Mali,  Marshall Islands,  Mauritania,  Micronesia,  Mongolia,  Montenegro,  Mozambique,  Niger,  Palau,  Philippines,  Russia,  Sao Tome and Principe,  Serbia,  Suriname,  Ukraine.
7-day stay: East Timor,  Macau (when presenting a Macao SAR passport in transit to third country only; proof of onward journey will need to be shown to the immigration officer),  China (when presenting a Chinese passport in transit to third country only; proof of onward journey will need to be presented to the immigration officer).
For more details please consult: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit-transit/visit-visa-entry-permit.html

While location filming in public places does not require a general-purpose filming permit, permission from the respective government departments is needed for filming on government land and premises, and within Hong Kong waters. They include country parks, marine parks, public housing estates, reservoirs, and venues or facilities operated by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, e.g. Tsim Sha Tsui East Waterfront Promenade, Hong Kong Cultural Centre, parks, gardens, swimming pools, bathing beaches, public sporting facilities, etc. It is highly advisable for you to inform the TV and Films Liaison Section of the Hong Kong Police by telephone at (852) 2860 6186, or by fax at (852) 2200 4303, of your intention to shoot in public places. You should provide information on the place, date, time of shooting and a brief description of the plot. The information will be passed on to the police station concerned for appropriate arrangements.

ATA carnet accepted.

Copyright is the right given to the owner of an original work. This right can subsist in literary works such as books and computer software, musical works such as musical compositions, dramatic works such as plays, artistic works such as drawings, paintings and sculptures, sound recordings, films, broadcasts, cable programmes and the typographical arrangement of published editions of literary, dramatic or musical works, as well as performers' performances. Copyright works made available on the Internet environment are also protected. Copyright is an automatic right. It arises when a work is created. Unlike other intellectual property rights such as patents, trademarks and industrial designs, it is not necessary to register a copyright in Hong Kong, China in order to get protection under the Hong Kong law. In fact, there is no official registry in Hong Kong for registration of copyright works. The general rule is that copyright lasts until 50 years after the creator of the work dies. However, there are minor variations to this depending on the type of work.

Film Commissions

Hong Kong

We facilitate location filming in Hong Kong and we strive to promote Hong Kong as a choice location for filming in Asia.

+ Read more

Coproduction treaties

Professional Associations

Latest news