New Zealand

Funding bodies

Fund Goal

NZFC supports a diverse range of New Zealand and international stories to be told here and seen everywhere, promotes its talented individuals and its industry’s reputation for creativity, innovation and superb production values, balances cultural and economic objectives to achieve successful outcomes...

Get the list of funding programmes


Citizens of the following countries need a visa for a stay of up to 6 months: Australia, UK. Citizens of the following countries need a visa for a stay of up to 3 months: Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Korea (South), Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain ,  Sweden,  Switzerland, United Arab Emirates ,  United States of America,  Uruguay,  Vatican City.
For more details please consult:

Copyright in literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works continues for 50 years after the end of the calendar year in which the author died.

New Zealand has a full and extensive range of film equipment available for hire at very competitive prices – importing is not necessary. For specialist equipment, motor vehicles and other non-consumable items, the following import options are available: An experienced freight forwarding company will have an arrangement in place with New Zealand Customs Service that is most effective and efficient. This allows for the temporary importing of non-consumable items without attracting Goods and Services Tax (GST), bonds or duty, providing these goods are returned to the country of export at the end of the production period. If preferred, a carnet can be used for the temporary import of all film equipment, motor vehicles and non-consumable items.There are certain issues which apply to operating a film production on any land in New Zealand, regardless of its ownership or status. Our first recommendation is that you should employ a New Zealand location manager to obtain all your permissions. A New Zealand based location manager will be familiar with the conditions applying to all available locations and will significantly ease the time and effort required to secure and negotiate location use. You should also consider the following in every situation: Permission to film is required from the landholder of all locations. Filming on streets and country roads requires permissions from local authorities and police. Many location owners need to sight the production’s Health & Safety Plan (to comply with Occupational Health & Safety Regulations) prior to giving consent. All location owners will require evidence that the production company has adequate public liability insurance. If any structure needs to be built on land or on or over water, a building consent or resource consent may need to be obtained.   Use a Temporary Entry Form when you arrive in New Zealand. The goods are assessed for duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST), and this is paid to New Zealand Customs (credit cards may be used). The money is refunded by New Zealand Customs when the goods leave the country. This option is generally suitable for smaller value items

The standard Goods and ServicesTax (GST) is 15%. GST is a broad based consumption tax payable on most supplies of goods and services. Zero VAT rate:  certain supplies (e.g., exports)  while others (e.g., financial services) are exempt. Most supplies and purchases of goods and services made by film producers and distributors are taxable at the standard rate. However, credits are available for GST paid on goods and services purchased for business purposes, provided that the film producer/distributor is registered for GST in New Zealand. Supplies of goods and services to persons outside New Zealand can often be zero-rated (i.e., GST charged at 0 percent)—this may appeal to foreign companies producing films in New Zealand as this allows GST incurred in New Zealand to be recovered without a flow-through cost to the offshore party. 

In New Zealand, copyright protects original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works, sound recordings, films, communication works and the typographical arrangement of published editions. No registration is necessary (or even possible), nor is any other formality required for securing copyright protection.   Copyright in literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works continues for 50 years after the end of the calendar year in which the author died.

Film Commissions


Formed in 2003 as an industry led initiative, Film Auckland is the film office for the Auckland region. In 2004 Film Auckland became an incorporated society with a membership base and governed by a board elected by the members. In late 2010 the operations of Film Auckland as the film office were integrated...

+ Read more


Film New Zealand is New Zealand's national film locations office facilitating access both nationally and internationally to New Zealand as one of the world's best screen production destinations.

+ Read more


Film Otago Southland represents the southernmost regions of New Zealand, including Central Otago and Southland.

+ Read more

Coproduction treaties

Professional Associations

Latest news